Wednesday, November 19, 2014

National Anthem and sports

I have a dream of something I've had a secret desire to do and I'm going to share it here.  Ready?  
I have always, ever since my kids started playing sports back in 1994, to sing the National Anthem and open a sporting event.  I have no idea why.... and I contemplated asking to sing at a basketball game my youngest son's senior year, but I chickened out.  I saw my going to 100's of ball games coming to a close.  But I still want to do it someday.  I may never do it, but I think it would be very cool.  I don't think of myself as a soloist or a great singer, but I can stay on pitch and sing that song from memory.  It is one of the hardest songs to sing, vocally.  Anyway, thought I'd share.  I love my country, love music, love America, love home town sports games and love being a fan.  I've watched my 5 children play Soccer, T Ball, Baseball, Football, Track and Field and our family favorite, Basketball through all their middle school and high school years.  Some of them through Elementary School as well, so could be close to 1000 games.  I have not counted, but it's huge.  From 1994 to 2009 as a Mom fan then another year as the Varsity Boys book keeper.  I kept the boys JV and V basketball book for years, and the girls V basketball book for a number of years too.  I loved going to games, rooting for my kids, watching them improve and play with sportsmanship and see them enjoy the sports they were involved in.  I didn't miss many games or meets.  I tried to support them as much as I could.  My husband Kelly was the Boys JV basketball head coach, Boys V assistant Coach and Girls V Basketball head coach through our children playing in high school.  My oldest son even got in the coaching field and coached a season of girls JV middle school basketball games.  I have a son who is a Basketball referee right now.. he's reffed for three seasons now.  Loves it!  Another son reffed for a while until his own kids got involved in sports.  He now is helping and may be coaching soccer soon, his girls love playing soccer.  I've enjoyed going to a few of my grand daughter's soccer games and watching them improve, score, win and sometimes lose.   Just thought I'd share..  Many memories around sports in our family and we played and traveled together.  My 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport now has just over 250K miles on it, a lot of those miles were driving all over for most all of their basketball games and play offs and tournaments.  
Anyway, I've always wanted to sing the national anthem at a sporting event.  That's on my dream board, bucket list.  If it never happens, I'll have to sing it for a family talent night then!    


No comments:

Post a Comment