Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dealing with disappointments

So we all have disappointments in life, that's life.  Yes.  I accept that we are supposed to grow and learn and have experiences, but it doesn't make it fun or easy.  I get disappointed and wonder how I could've been better or made things turn out differently.  So, I think I need a list.. a list of what to do when I'm disappointed.  First of all, my family is the best.  I rarely am disappointed in them.  Each of my family members are individuals with goals and dreams of their own and that's good.  I am in no way wanting to manipulate or persuade any of my family members to do anything except follow their own righteous desires and dreams that are good for their lives.  I'm not really 'aiming' this post towards anyone.. I feel like I've been disappointed a few times in my life though and need reminded of what to DO when I feel like this.
1) Be Grateful.  I have been given so much.  Count my blessings, look at the good, focus on the positive and smile.  Even if it takes writing notes to myself to remind me of my blessings then I need to do that.  I keep a journal, a gratitude journal, and I try to write in it frequently.  It's about due for another entry!
2) Serve.  When I focus on others needs, my own needs become less important.  Serving gives me a sense of taking care of someone else and that feels great!  When I put others needs before my own, my own disappointments and problems seem insignificant, or at least lessened.
3) Smile.  Says it all.  I remind myself to smile often.  I look better when I smile!
4) Listen to uplifting music or talks. Putting positive 'things' in my mind fills it with good, happy thoughts and messages instead of the disappointments I may be feeling.  Play a video that is happy and listen to light, happy and inspiring music.
5) Focus on my talents.  Work on a project.  I love to create and make things newer and more lovely.  When I work on a hobby or talent, I feel great and accomplished and my disappointments are pushed away to the background and my talents and hobbies, things I love to do, are pushed to the forefront!  When I play the piano, I always am uplifted and in a better mood.  Singing makes me smile and be happy too.  A song is like a prayer of the heart spoken up to heaven.  Uplifting to my soul.
6) Give.   When I give of my time, talents, energy and love I feel good inside and it shows on the outside as well.  
7) Work.  Work hard and smart.  Get things done.  When I get things organized and manageable, I feel accomplished instead of disappointed.  Work my plan, set goals and plan to work.
8) Talk with a close family member.  When I talk to one of my kids on facetime or on the phone, I always feel better and do not focus on any of the disappointing things that may have happened that day.  I love my family and I have many family members to talk to.  I feel their love when we talk and share our day and lives with each other.
9) Read scriptures or good, uplifting inspirational books.  I can learn from the experiences of others when I read books that have stories of triumph and victory.  In good books I can find victory for good, triumph in overcoming obstacles to live a better life.  Reading books and listening to audio books helps me to learn how to deal with disappointments with dignity.
10) Love others for who they are.  I should never want to take away anyone's choice and force them to see things my way.  Everyone has the right to choose the way they want to live and it is my 'job' in life to not want to or have the desire to force others to see everything my way.  Love others no matter what they decide to do in their life.  This does not mean I should hang out with or spend time with people who are not on the same path as I am on as far as my goals are concerned, but that I can and should love others no matter what choices they make.  We can find common ground and enjoy our differences, or move on and make friends who are like minded and help us to grow and reach our goals.
11) Spend time with my husband.  My husband is the love of my life.  I look up to him, admire him, respect him and cherish our time together.  I always enjoy his company.  We have a good marriage and have raised 5 wonderful kids who we have a good relationship with as they are growing into adults.  I love to take walks, watch movies, go on drives, work side by side, and do lots of things with my husband.  He helps me feel happy and loved.  We are companions and I am so blessed to have him and he is blessed to have me.
12) Remember that Jesus Christ loves me and I am of great worth.  I am a daughter of God, a woman with a divine destiny and I strive to fulfill that calling of daughter, sister, wife, and mother to the best of my ability.  I cannot do anything alone.  I need my Heavenly Father and His love and guidance.  I know that God sent His Son Jesus Christ to this earth to be an example, to live and to give His life for all of mankind, for me.  He paid for all of my sins and took upon himself my heartaches and worries.  I must trust that God has a plan for me and that through His Son I can be made perfect someday and join with them and my family in an Eternal Life, if I strive to live according to His laws and love.


I have a lovely life, but I do experience disappointments now and then.  It is a human experience and I'm learning to deal and grow and move on.  I should never expect to never be disappointed in my life.  I am one, only one, woman, but I am one and I can be a positive influence for good to those who love me and want to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment