Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Infusions every 8 weeks!!?

Well, I went to my GI in Las Vegas back on Sept 8 and first thing he said when he came in the room is "You're steroid dependent!"  Well, yea.  Prednisone (a steroid) is the ONLY thing that keeps my symptoms under control and half way manageable.  I am so frustrated.  Soooo.  He said it's time for Remicade infusions every 8 weeks as a RX path.  He has to get it approved by my insurance, then I'll get an appt.  He also said my blood work up is really bad.  I'm anemic and everything is low because I've been losing blood, bleeding from the colon for over a year now.  Right now, while on Pred, bleeding isn't real bad, but it is still bleeding on and off with a BM.  So he wants me to see a Hematologist and get a blood transfusion.   Wow, This was last Friday in Vegas, it's now Wednesday and I haven't heard from anyone about making an appointment in Vegas for these things to get taken care of.  I called and left a message for follow up.
I'm scared, kind of scared.  I don't know why my body isn't responding to RX the Doc has given me... my UC must be pretty bad.. he called it severe.  Scary.  I have gained like 20 pounds so I'm trying really hard this month to lose weight.  Prednisone make you very hungry.  I also feel weak so I feel like I need to eat.  This is causing weight gain and the Pred also makes my face swell up and my neck swell up... called "Moon Face"  Lol  not fun  I do not like the way I look right now at all, but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook and carry on with my days.  I work in our family trailer rental business and that keeps me busy instead of in bed all day like I would be if I didn't work.  Yep, I'd rather be in bed most days.  I get fatigued very easily with any activity.  When I go to the bathroom, it takes For.Ever to finish.  I still have accidents and that's so yucky.  Not very often, and so far I've been at home when it happens, thank goodness!
Being strong doesn't mean never crying.  It means that when you cry, you get up and carry on with life again and again and again.  I cry most every day.  I try not to but sometimes I am weak and tired and sad.  I'm hopeful about the Remicade infusions.  I'm in a group on Facebook that many people say Remicade gives them relief.  Doc says that if I 'fail' Remicade, it's surgery - remove the large intestines, remove the whole colon and rectum.  THAT would be life changing.. scary but some say it's the best thing they ever decided to do.  It's the only way to cure UC, remove the colon.  Who wants to live with this condition for the rest of their life?

No comments:

Post a Comment